www.chess5.com   www.chess5.com
Home |  Your Games |  Public Games |  Forum |  Calendar

Author
Jack Maguire
Date
 2008-09-25 10:48
Here's a highly entertaining U-Tube link to a great game by Efim Bogoljubov where he absolutely crushed Rudolf Spielmann with the - Alex should love this complete destruction of the French that he so despises - French Defence: Alekhine-Chatard Attack, Albin-Chatard Gambit (C13)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFLDo-TaKpU

The game can also be found under "notable games" at Chessgames.com, specifically,

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1030643

I'll also take this opportunity to present one of the great chess quotes of all time, from the mouth of the man who evidently knew only one English word, 'beer', and who twice lost the World Championship to the immortal Alexander Alekhine, but did manage to finish a full point and a half ahead of Lasker (2nd) and Capablanca (3rd) in Moscow in 1925:

"I win with White because I have first move; I win with Black because I am Bogoljubov."

Responses
   RE: Bogoljubov link and quote
Author
Alex Ferreira
Date
 2008-09-26 02:06
Holy Crappolla
What a flood of games this month in the public games section!

I just went through the game on chessgames.com, very nice. Some of those moves are subtle, like Qc3 and especially Kb1 (avoiding the Qh6+ & Qh1 in between R (trades) moves in the centre).
Neat way of punishing a terrible opening. I am still to find the motivation people have to play such a bad opening. It's like playing handicap chess, while taking the fun out of it. Not like at the park for example where a better player gives time or knight odds. French is just simply incomprehensible. I ought to try playing it sometime.

Strange gambit name. I will try to remember this line to play it against some French lover.
I have also heard that quote before, its a good one.

Thanks Jack,

Alex F.
   RE: Bogoljubov link and quote
Author
jeffmonkey
Date
 2008-09-25 18:22
i have heard of that quote before. how do u even pronounce Bogoljubov