www.chess5.com   www.chess5.com
Home |  Your Games |  Public Games |  Forum |  Calendar

Author
Bob Armstrong
Date
 2009-02-19 15:25
Well, my choice for winner, 15th and current World Champion, Viswanathan Anand ( India ) has come out of the gate fast ! He is, after one round, ALONE in first place, posting the only win ( over Teimour Radjabov [ Azerbaijan ] ).

Now I acknowledge it is a long tournament of 14 rounds ( a double round robin of 8 players ). But Anand will end the tournament as he has started it - ALONE in first.

Does anyone out there think Anand will NOT win Linares?

Bob

Responses
   RE: Linares - Who Will Win?
Author
Bob Armstrong
Date
 2009-03-01 14:20
I meant to say Anand is now in fifth ( not fourth as I wrongly stated )

Bob
Author
Bob Armstrong
Date
 2009-03-01 14:12
In the initial post , I asked: " Does anyone out there think Viswanathan Anand ( India - 15th and current World Champion ) will NOT win Linares? "

With 9 rounds down, it is not looking good for my boy - he languishes alone in fourth with 4.5 pts. Ahead of him are:

1. Alexander Grischuk ( Russia ) - 6 pts.
2nd/4th - 5 pts. - Magnus Carlsen ( Norway )
- Vassily Ivanchuk ( Ukraine )
- Levon Aronian ( Armenia )

I'm not sure who will win it now, but I doubt Anand can come back, from soooo far back.

Who are you putting your money on at this point?

Bob
   KIDS at Linares
Author
Bob Armstrong
Date
 2009-02-28 04:50
Hey Jack - FYI ( from ChessBase )

Linares R7: Ivanchuk beats Aronian with black
27.02.2009 ? The King's Indian has been doing well in Linares. Black hasn't lost a single game, and today Vassily Ivanchuk scored a victory with it, against Levon Aronian.

I've been singing the praises of the KID for years to all you guys - now there are lots of KIDS at Linares !! Kasparov must wonder what's happened, since he abandoned his child eventually. The answer - KIDS are LOVEABLE !

Bob
Author
Alex Ferreira
Date
 2009-02-20 01:51
Hi Bob,

I got to say... I usually like choosing dark horses but...
No, Anand, all the way, full point ahead of 2nd, at least.

Great field though, looking forward to some explosive stuff.
And hopefully Grischuk will have the guts to play the Winawer against Anand, and Anand will refute it ;-)

Alex F.