www.chess5.com   www.chess5.com
Home |  Your Games |  Public Games |  Forum |  Calendar

Author
Bob Armstrong
Date
 2009-06-25 08:13
The biggest Canadian tournament is the Canadian Open. This year it is being held in Edmonton, Alberta, from July 11 to 19. I have attended the last three Canadian Opens ( Kitchener, Ontario; Ottawa, Ontario; Montreal, Quebec ). So I have decided to make it four in a row. I will be flying out of Toronto, Ontario on Friday, July 10, in about 2 weeks time.

The tournament has 26 titled players at the moment , headed by Alexei Shirov ( Spain ), Hua Ni ( China ) & Michael Adams ( England ), all over 2700. As of June 9, there were 154 players registered.

Edmonton held the Canadian Opens in 2002 and 2005 I believe, and they have a reputation for doing the job right. It is a 9-round swiss, no accelerated pairings, with numbers of side events - lectures, simul's, blitz, etc..

I will be blogging my activities, both successes and failures here and elsewhere, if I can get access to a computer ( I am laptop challenged ). Hope you will find it entertaining and interesting.

See you in 2 weeks.

Bob

Responses
   RE: Weekend Warrior's Next Challenge
Author
Bob Armstrong
Date
 2009-07-21 07:05
I did blog the tournament, but I did it on two other sites, and so didn't do it here. It is under the thread " Weekend Warrior & the CO Challenge " on both CFC Chess Forum ( www.chesscanada.info/forum ) and ChessTalk ( www.chesstalk.com ). Hope you enjoy the blog.

Bob